Saturday, September 7, 2013

Day 7: Rotorua, New Zealand

Day 7 7/12/06

I woke up to the sound of rain hitting a roof next to my window. I was very thankful that we did a lot of outdoor things yesterday.

We had a rare off day today in Rotorua. EF tours gave us an extra day on the tour and it happened to be here in town. Normally we would have just enough time to do the advertised events and then go to Auckland, so we used our day off to our advantage.

After sleeping in, the girls and Tim went on a horseback ride that they really liked. Sam and Alex relaxed, spending time in the hotel lounge on the piano. I managed to get a half hour massage on my neck and back. It was something fun to do during the rainy day.

In the afternoon, the girls and Tim went shopping and explored Rotorua. Alex, Sam, and I took the "duck" for a tour of the area. The duck is a converted World War II vehicle that goes on the road and in the water as a boat. We alternated between lakes and roads as he gave information about the area. 


Alex, Sam and the duck boat

I asked John, our bus driver, what the difference between the two islands were in New Zealand. He responded that the difference was great. The northern island's beauty was made by volcano while the southern island's beauty was glacieral.

After the tour, we relaxed for a couple of hours. I did manage to get some more Hokey Pokey ice cream.

The boys and I ate at Fat Dogs restaurant downtown. The servings were huge. I saw a kid's order of hamburger that turned out to be bigger than what I've seen for adults in the U.S.!! After our meal, we went back to the hotel.

The six students reserved the spa for another half hour and enjoyed it. They were so tired that they called me to let me know that they were going to bed. It was a good thing that they did that because the next day would be a travel day complete with a couple of sight seeing stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment